|NY State Pin map I made with a <3 around my hometown of Albany, NY|
Oh how I miss the Italian food of upstate NY!
Up until yesterday, this was a dish I saved for holidays and unexpected days off from work... as those were the only times I could dedicate 45 minutes of my day to constantly stirring for the perfect dish. Don't get me wrong, it's completely worth it, but the recipe below is particularly appealing because of the time you save by using the slow cooker. I also used barley instead of the traditional arborio rice. Barley is a whole grain with more fiber to help keep you fuller, longer on a smaller portion than you may have with the arborio rice. The higher fiber content can reduce blood sugar spikes and decrease cholesterol as well - not to mention it was delicious!
Check out our Fall Kale & Mushroom Barley Risotto, a recipe I adapted from the RDs at Healthy Eats.
|Kale and Mushroom Barley Risotto from BLTFoodies|
Kale & Mushroom Barley Risotto
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pound sliced mushrooms (I used button mushrooms)
1 1/2 cups barley
6 sprigs fresh thyme
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into circles
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1.5 cups water
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 cups frozen kale, cooked
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or sauce pot over medium high heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and season with pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until onions are browned.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the barley and thyme sprigs, cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer mushroom mixture into a 6 quart slow cooker and add in the sliced carrots, broth and water. Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours, until all liquid is absorbed.
- Once all the liquid is absorbed, discard the thyme sprigs. Stir in the kale, Parmesan cheese, vinegar and pepper. Mix evenly and until the risotto is creamy.
- Serve and enjoy!
What foods do you miss from your hometown? Tell us in the comments below!