Thank you all for your support in a wonderful 2013 year of BLT Foodies. Here is a summary of our most popular posts in 2013:
1. Homemade Egg Drop Soup with Sweet Corn
2. Easy Spinach and Parmesan Muffins
3. Picnic Ready Sides: Low Carb Broccoli Slaw
4. Homemade Sweet Potato Dog Treats
5. Colorado and Mexican Bison Stew
We had a wonderful time celebrating 2014 with friends downtown Greenville, SC, and even prepared easy to make and yummy Strawberry Mozzarella Crostinis to bring to the party! The salty/sweet taste from the cheese and the strawberries really compliments this appetizer. Don't forget the mint though! Believe us, we tried it both ways...more mint, more better. We used Trevor's homegrown grapefruit variety for a fun citrus flavor!
Strawberry Mozzarella Crostini
Yield: ~20 crostinis
1 baguette, sliced thin
1/4 cup olive oil
1 fresh part skim mozzarella ball, sliced into thin rectangles
1 pound strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
20 Mint leaves, rinsed and dried
- Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on each crostini bread slice.
- Toast crostini's in the oven on a non-greased cookie sheet on broil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Watch them carefully, because they tend to burn quickly!
- When toasted, top each crostini with a slice of mozzarella, followed by a strawberry slice.
- Reduce balsamic vinegar into a syrup (use a small sauce pan and heat balsmic to a boil, then simmer 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened).
- Drizzle balsamic over the crostinis.
- Garnish each crostini with a mint leaf, and serve!
What dish did you try this New Year?