"Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
-Michaelangelo (Professional Ninja Turtle)
A culmination of dense, crusty bread, gooey cheese, savory garlic, tomatoes, basil, and sometimes a smattering of tasty bacon. A provision known to all who have been a bachelor or bachelorette at some point in their life, often followed with a cold barley-flavored beverage of choice. Tonight, Brittany and I celebrated this glorious staple with a simple variation thrown together with some leftovers from this weekend. Enjoy!
Mushroom, Spinach and Bacon Pizza
Yield: 8 slices
1 Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2-3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed
1 cup Trader Joe's #99 Marinara Sauce
1 pint baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 slices Applegate Farms Uncured Turkey Bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
Red pepper flakes, as tolerated
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Spray a 16" non-stick pizza pan with Pam spray
3. Place the pizza dough on the pan. Using your finger tips, spread the pizza dough out into a circle on the pan starting from the center.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush the olive oil over the pizza dough starting from the outside and working your way to the center.
5. Combine thawed spinach and marinara sauce in a bowl. Spread over pizza dough, leaving 1" for the crust.
6. Heat a pan over medium heat. Saute mushrooms in 2 Tbsp olive oil and season with onion powder, paprika and dried basil about 5-7 minutes, until they start to reduce. Remove from heat.
7. Spread reduced fat cheese over sauce. Top with mushrooms and bacon.
8. Sprinkle pizza with dried basil and red pepper flakes and bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbling.
9. Serve with Publix Black and Blue salad and enjoy!
Lilly wishes she had pizza!
Instead she enjoyed some tasty Kirkland's salmon meal dog food.
Almost as good.